• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Payroll issue with auto dealer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

carguy15

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I recently found out that my employer (car dealer) has been making mistakes on my check for several months. They were not calculating my commission correctly. I thought I knew the proper procedure for determining pay, but I did not. Long story short, this amounted to a little over $1k. I followed the chain of command going through each layer of management until it got to corporate. Each time, being told the company has a policy that if you don't catch it within 30 days, sorry about your luck. After I got to the last layer of management, I was shown a written corporate policy indicating that. I have asked every employee here & no one has an employee manual. If we don't have a copy of the manual, how can we be expected to know these things? I am so frustrated with the way that this was handled that I want to quit but I have to keep my head in check because I have a family to feed. Many years ago, an employer cheated me out of money, I resigned & because of the circumstances, I was able to collect unemployment. I really don't want to do that but I am at my wits end. I know things can get a little sticky with commissions not being paid & I would hate to be denied. Not like I don't want to work. I have worked since I was 14 & love to work & what I do. I just don't like shady & dishonest practices.

In addition, this dealership also breaks the law every day by selling vehicles over the advertised price. Their philosophy is if the customer doesn't catch it, it's all good. If they do, we'll play stupid & drop the price. In good conscience, I know it's not right but I'm doing what I have to do to feed my family until I can locate another dealership. Summer time is a difficult time to switch dealerships because there aren't usually openings.

I know this covers a couple different areas of law. I'm just frustrated & not sure what I can or should do. Any advice would be appreciated......

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">