• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paystubs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? PA

I work for an office that pays me a check without a paystub. It comes out of the boss/owner's management account but they aren't regular paychecks like normal company's. They are just checks. I have no track record of the amount of taxes being taken out. I did not know this when I got hired. The girl who does the accounting says that she has been paid this way for the whole 5 years she has worked there. There is just the 2 of us working for the boss. I was told that I would get a W2 for tax purposes. Problem is that if I have to supply a stub for a loan or something I have nothing to give them. Is this legal?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Patty will be able to say for certain, but according to my (admittably somewhat out of date) source, PA does NOT require paystubs, though there are states that do.

pattytx

My (admittedly) current source says that, too. Pennsylvania has "no general provision" for pay stubs. I think it's stupid and it's poor customer service (after all, employees are customers of the payroll dept.), but it is evidently not illegal. If you need a pay stub as proof for a loan or something in the future, all you'll probably be able to do is ask the employer for a written statement at that time.

HomeGuru

sunshinee50 said:
What is the name of your state? PA

I work for an office that pays me a check without a paystub. It comes out of the boss/owner's management account but they aren't regular paychecks like normal company's. They are just checks. I have no track record of the amount of taxes being taken out. I did not know this when I got hired. The girl who does the accounting says that she has been paid this way for the whole 5 years she has worked there. There is just the 2 of us working for the boss. I was told that I would get a W2 for tax purposes. Problem is that if I have to supply a stub for a loan or something I have nothing to give them. Is this legal?

**A: for loan purposes the lender uses a VOE (verification of Employment)

HomeGuru

pattytx said:
Yeah, but they often ask for a current pay stub too. I should know; I owe a lot of people! :(

**A: that's correct so the employer would have to do a statement of earnings or something similar in lieu of a paystub.

I have had her write out what I gross and that I work for her and she signs it and dates it but this has to be done every single time I need a paystub. I think it is a stupid thing for PA not to force all companies to give stubs. It is so much easier to go into my file cabinet and pull out a stub to take to the bank. Even making a copy of my paycheck doesn't completely help as it does not show that I am paying my taxes. Thanks for the info. Even though I don't agree with it, it helps so I don't go to her and ask for this and have her tell me that she doesn't have to by law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">