• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Performing tasks that are not included in Job Description

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SD_BaLLaH

What is the name of your state? California

I am an In-house photographer for a company. My job is to create photographs of products for the company's catalog. I am an extremely hard worker, and am already frustrated with my peers that I have to pick up the slack for their low productivity.

My question is that my job description does not include training new hires, but when I am asked to train new hires to perform the duties of my department what should I do? Although, it will hinder my productivity, I don't mind giving the training. I would also want to be compensated in my salary for performing the training, and keeping up my productivity. What can I do?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

seniorjudge

Your job description is probably do anything that is legal and moral that the employer asks you to do.

If you don't like it, you could get another job or start your own business.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
A job description rarely if ever constitutes a legal contract to do only what is listed. Most job descriptions contain a phrase such as, "other duties as assigned".

In the absence of a genuine contract or CBA that specifically states that you cannot be required to do anything that is not listed in your job description, if your employer asked you to do something your only option is to do it. You can legally be required to do anything that your employer asks of you as long as it is not illegal or unsafe by OSHA standards.

The law does not require that you receive additional compensation for additional duties. However, there is nothing that prevents you from *politely* raising the issue with your employer, understanding that if he says, no, your options are to accept that or find other employment.

Last edited:

Silverplum

A job description rarely if even consitutes a legal contract to do only what is listed. Most job descriptions contain a phrase such as, "other duties as assigned".
Yep, mine does. And I have used those "other duties" assigned to me as opportunities. I now make much, much more $$ than I used to: much, much more than I would have if I had stuck to my original job description. ;)

Perhaps your manager is seeing what you have to offer.

fibropain

Other duties ...

While Silverplum benefitted from performing other duties assigned, at jobs I held where I was provided with the "opportunity" of performing other duties as assigned, I learned quite a bit more and came away with many, many more skills, but earned no more money. In fact, as I became proficient in performing other duties and gaining more skills, I became the recipient of many more "opportunities", leading to my working many, many more hours than I had before, while earning no more money.

I would see whether your situation turns out to mirror mine or Silverplum's. If you can learn additional skills that could bring you more money in another job, make sure you're proficient in those skills before you move on, if you decided to do so. But don't make the same mistake I did and stick around for years just working more hours and being passed over for raises and promotions.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">