• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

piece work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

freeradical24

What is the name of your state?washington
my company claims to be piece work, it is based on hourly pay.
example:job "A" is expected to take 6 hours.i make 8 dollars per hour so i would make 48 dollars even if i work on this job for eight hours.
assumably if i worked on job "A"for four hours i would be paid 48 dollars,but that is not how they work it.if we finished job "A"in 4 hours we would only get paid for four hours.
they are switching between piece work and hourly at their convinience.that doesnt seem right to me.

F

freeradical24

so.......

have i violated one of your rules or does no one have the answer?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I can't speak for anyone but myself. In my case, I know next to nothing about paying piecework. So no, I don't have the answer.

Beth3

Sorry - no piece work compensation experience here either.

If you want to know whether what your employer is doing is legal, contact your State DOL.

BelizeBreeze

As suggest, call your local or state DOL, but from my calculations the only requirement for your employer is that work cannot be compensated at below the federally mandated minimum wage.
Even for piece-rate work in the state of Washington. So, if, instead, it takes you 15 hours to do the work, they would still have to pay you the minimum wage for all hours worked. ;)

F

freeradical24

thats pretty much what i got out of reading the state laws as well.
just thought maybe some of you might have insight that i did not.
thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">