• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Previous Employer Still Owes Travel Expense Reimbursement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AnnaStar

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

Hello all,

During my employment with my previous company I did some traveling for which I am entitled to reimbursement after submitting my Travel Expense form.

The traveling was for my Training as well as being sent to other locations to help a short staff out.

The training was in July/August of 2013.
The helping out was through the remainder of the year.

Mid November 2013 - Submitted Travel Expense Forms.
January 10 2014 - I contacted Corporate stating that I never received the reimbursement.
January 10 2014 - Received an email reply back "These checks have not yet been cut. They should be included in the next round of checks cut by Accounts Payable.
January 14 2014 - Last day employed, I voluntarily left my job for a new job
March 12 2014 - I contacted store manager to ask if she has received my check.
March 12 2014 - Store Manager Replied stating that she did NOT receive but she contacted corporate and never got a response. She gave me a phone number (#) to contact but I tried calling and it did not ring, just hung up immediately.

In between all of this I have left countless voice mails and made phone calls to all the people I could and never got responses

Ball park is around $500 owed to me.

I have had to put my own gas in my car. Add extra miles on my car. Taken extra time to drive to the other locations which were over 45 minutes each way. I was specifically told by my manager that I would be reimbursed. Some of my other employees received there expense forms in December. And they were paid for the same reason as me. To help other stores out that were short staff
What should I do?

I appreciate any and all advice.

Thank you

:cheers:

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It does not. Only two states require that an employee ever be reimbursed for travel expenses, and of the two, one only requires that the employer pay mileage. This is something you will have to work out with the employer.

AnnaStar

I don't believe Arizona requires employers to reimburse for travel expenses.
But I assume since other employees got reimbursed for the same thing that I would have some leg to stand on. I assume that would be unfair/in ethical to pay one person to help out but not pay another who did the exact same thing

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The law does not care whether or not it is fair, or ethical. There are plenty of things that are unfair or unethical that are still legal. The law only cares if it is legal.

It is a myth that what an employer does for one, he is required to do for all.

You can try small claims. It might work. It might not.

There is no guarantee since by law he is not required to pay any expenses.

AnnaStar

I don't believe Arizona requires employers to reimburse for travel expenses.
The law does not care whether or not it is fair, or ethical. There are plenty of things that are unfair or unethical that are still legal. The law only cares if it is legal.

It is a myth that what an employer does for one, he is required to do for all.

You can try small claims. It might work. It might not.

There is no guarantee since by law he is not required to pay any expenses.
I agreed to travel only on the basis of being refunded the money and they agreed to that.

Well it is not contractual I do not see how they can deny my expenses but pay other people for the same expenses

But then again I am not an expert and why I posted here.

So small claims court is best option?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">