• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PTO & New Sick Leave law question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NewGuy2015

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My company has an existing PTO policy where we receive more than 24 hours a year for time off BUT it cannot be used without prior approval. Under the new law we are entitled to 24 hours that can be used without prior approval. Where the issue comes up is that some people used all of there prior PTO (as scheduled days off to not get attendance points) before the new law went into effect. I take it as the old policy did not follow the law as you could not use it without prior notice without receiving punishment. With that in mind would they now need to provide us with 24 hours of time that did fall within the laws no punishment requirement?

Alternatively there are also people who's PTO is less than 24 hours but more than 0 and they are told that they can only use the amount of PTO left for sick time anything after will be punishable. (example Tim has 8 hours of PTO but 24 hours of sick leave. Tim is told he can only use 8 hours of sick leave before attendance points will incur.) Same as before should they bump these people back up to at least 24 hours of usable time?

Thanks in advance for any clarification!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I don't believe the new law is quite as broad as you appear to believe it is.

NewGuy2015

Well that is why I'm here. My company isn't the best at clarifying policy. I asked today what if I use all my PTO as scheduled vacation days and none as sick days then afterwards wanted to take a sick day got denied and subsequently filed a complaint. Wouldn't they then be responsible to show where I had actually used my sick time (which technically wouldn't exist)?

ShyCat

If you used all of your PTO as scheduled vacation, you don't get a bonus 24 hours for unscheduled PTO for sick time. It is up to you to manage your PTO wisely.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">