• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quit; can employer make me pay him back for vacation time I already used?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

applepearorange

What is the name of your state? Florida

After working for this employer for a couple months and seeing that he was not honoring the terms of employment that we had agreed to verbally over the phone, I drew up a Terms of Employment contract for myself, reviewed it with my employer, and we both signed it. I will share with you the parts of this agreement that apply to my question: "Vacation time- 3 weeks; 5 personal / sick days; 2-3 week notice for vacation time; Max 2 weeks at one time. Vacation and personal/sick days do not accrue if not used up before anniversary. Any unused vacation will be paid out instead. Unused sick days do not get paid out. 1st review at 90 days."

I quit the beginning of this week, and then today sent an email to my former employer about my final paycheck. I told him it should include last week (2 paid vacation days, plus 3 days at work), the final hours I worked on the day that I quit, as well as the 4 days of vacation time that I had not used. (I had to tell him this because the whole time I worked for him, I had to figure out everything about how much I should be paid each paycheck, how much to withhold for the IRS, how much in SS and Medicare taxes to take out, etc.)

He replied and said that not only would he not pay me for my 4 days of unused vacation, but that I would not be paid for most of the hours I worked last week. Here is his reasoning: In my previous paycheck, I was paid for 8 days of the 10 days vacation I had just taken (the remaining 2 days would be applied to this recent, final paycheck). He said since I had only worked there over 5 months, I had only earned 6.58 days of vacation, and since I already took 11 days of vacation (in addition to the 10 days already mentioned, I had taken 1 day off in May), I actually OWE him 4.42 days of pay.

I feel this is not only morally wrong, but legally wrong as well. The contract I wrote up, which we both signed, said that I have 3 weeks, or 15 days of vacation each year, and that any vacation that I do not use at the end of the year gets paid out. I thought it was understood by both of us that those 15 days of vacation were mine each year, not that I had to accrue my vacation days. It does not state anywhere in the contract that vacation had to be accrued according to how long I was working there, and he never verbally said anything to this affect either, up until now that I have quit. I called him up and tried to explain this to him, but he says "every" company does it this way, and even though he didn't specify it in the contract, that I should have known this. I told him the last company I worked for did not base vacation on how many days you have worked, and he did not believe me.

Doesn't the fact that he already paid me for 9 of the 11 days vacation I've taken imply that I have indeed earned those 9 days vacation, and that he himself saw it this way when he signed the check? It seems that he just came up with the argument that I had "not earned the vacation days that I took," only as a way to try to get out of paying me what I earned.

After disputing this point in circles, I finally told him I was willing to compromise and not ask him to pay me for my 4 days of unused vacation, but that he needed to pay me for last week (2 days vacation, 3 days in office) as well as the final hours I worked this week. He still did not want to even compromise, saying he only owed me for a little over 1 day's worth of work, since I "owe" him 4.42 days.

Is this fair/right/legal? After an employer has paid me for vacation days taken, can he withhold the amount paid for those days out of my last paycheck, under the argument that I had not yet earned those vacation days? And, if he really believed I had not yet earned those vacation days, wouldn't he have said something about it when I put in my vacation request? Wouldn't he have refused the request, telling me then that I had not earned enough vacation for my request? Even if he truly thinks he was "lending" me those vacation days, shouldn't he have specifically told me this at the time, rather than now, when I am trying to collect my last paycheck?

Thank you very much for your time and advice. I really appreciate it very much.

**By the way, I was the only employee he ever had. When I was hired, I had to figure out how to register myself as his employee, and all the legal paperwork that goes along with hiring an employee. I even had to figure out how much my paycheck would be after taxes and withholdings, as well the taxes he had to pay in order to have an employee. In other words, I had to in essence do everything that I feel he, as the owner of the company and as my boss, should have figured out before even hiring me. He is a 1-man business and doesn't seem to know much about employment laws, and so maybe this is why he doesn't seem to understand how this, in my opinion, is ethically and possibly legally wrong?**

Last edited:

ecmst12

Vacation time is not usually given in a block on the first day of work or of the year, it is accrued gradually over the year. What he is doing is legal and normal. You can try taking him to small claims court if you like, you never know, but I think his argument is solid - legal and reasonable.

applepearorange

Hi, thank you for your input. Do you also believe it is legal of him to require me to pay him back for vacation days that have already been paid out? By paying me for 9 days of vacation already, isn't he in essence saying I have earned those days? If he really wants to claim that I had not earned those days he paid me for, shouldn't he be required to have some sort of record of negative vacation hours, since, according to him, I was borrowing against my vacation? In the books, it says I still have 4 days of vacation left.

Also, with the last company I worked for, I did not have to accrue vacation. I was immediately given my full vacation days at 90 days. I understand that I should have specified this in the contract I wrote up, but in the same vein, if he was thinking I have to accrue my vacation, then he should have specified that in the contract as well, right?

Thanks so much.

acmb05

Hi, thank you for your input. Do you also believe it is legal of him to require me to pay him back for vacation days that have already been paid out? By paying me for 9 days of vacation already, isn't he in essence saying I have earned those days? If he really wants to claim that I had not earned those days he paid me for, shouldn't he be required to have some sort of record of negative vacation hours, since, according to him, I was borrowing against my vacation? In the books, it says I still have 4 days of vacation left.

Also, with the last company I worked for, I did not have to accrue vacation. I was immediately given my full vacation days at 90 days. I understand that I should have specified this in the contract I wrote up, but in the same vein, if he was thinking I have to accrue my vacation, then he should have specified that in the contract as well, right?

Thanks so much.
I know of many companies ( as well as our very own Federal Government) who give all vacation days at the beginning of every year. His argument of trying to say you had not earned the time yet won't fly since he already paid you for time off that, (according to him ) you did not earn. Now what sense would that make for an employer to do that.

The way your contract is written up you are entitled to those days.

applepearorange

Hi acmb05,

Thanks very much for your input. It re-sparked my hope that someone would be able to see it my way. I am not trying to be unfair or sneaky in any way. I honestly believe my former employer and I were on the same page when the contract was written and signed and when he approved and paid me for the vacation days he did. I think it was only after I resigned that he thought up some way to get out of paying me what I feel I deserve. Certainly, at the VERY least he is legally obligated to pay me for the 3+ days I worked in the office.

ecmst12

And just as many, if not more, companies have vacation accrued by the week or pay period, but still allow the "borrowing" of time that will be earned by the end of the year.

eerelations

Every company I've ever worked for/with has allowed unearned/unaccrued vacation time to be "borrowed" by employees, with the expectation that the borrowed time be repaid if the employee leaves before the borrowed time is earned/accrued.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I swear I responded to this post last nigt.

MY state makes it legal to require the payback of used but unearned vacation, and if MASSACHUSETTS permits it, it's a lead-pipe cinch that FLORIDA permits it. My state is a heck of a lot more employee-friendly than Florida.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">