• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recovering unpaid wages/salary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SWIMteam

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of CALIFORNIA:

Hi, I would appreciate feedback from law students and/or professional practitioners on the matters of trying to recover unpaid compensation for work completed.

Here are just the facts:

1. I have been employed full-time by this Employer for over 3 years.

2. Many of our Clients (primarily in the Energy industry) require us to travel to their work site to complete our projects/contracts with them. The Client is charged a day rate for our hire, and a small portion of that is paid to the Employee that travels to complete the project. The Employer does not pay to the Employee days that we are on stand-by. So for example, I have traveled to Alabama to action a project, however I have been put on stand-by at a hotel there because I was unable to get to the work site due to weather, transport issues, no 'green-light' from Client, etc. Employer will not pay the Employee for days spent at a hotel though the Client is billed and pays for those days.

3. Employer does not include pay for on-site work at next coming paydate. Employer instead waits until the Client pays first, then pays the Employee. Recent year, Employer has been incredibly late to include these payments in the paycheck. Some contracts have been paid by the Client for well over a year and the Employer still has not paid the Employee for the work.

4. Employer provides 1 vacation day per Saturday worked, and 1.5 vacation days per Sunday worked. I have currently accrued over 60 vacation days. Employer wants to cash my vacation days at 30% my salary and leave me with 30 vacation days.

I have signed and accepted the late pays without any trouble. I have previously had my employer convert my vacation days to cash, though I believe it was also at 30%, possibly less--I have agreed to and signed the converted pay because I was ignorant at the time of their worth as provided by California law.

I have recently decided to resign from my Employer, but not without requesting a salary increase first because I have very recently discovered that my vacation days are actually worth 100% of the day rate of my salary. So I thought I'd up the value of my remaining vacation days and cash-out. The Employer also does not know the value of a vacation day in California.

At the time of my resignation, I intend to ask my Employer to
...convert my remaining vacation days at 100% of my current salary.
...pay me everything on my last day at the office. The date I stated on the Letter of Resignation.

The Employer has in the recent 12 months, been incredibly late to make payroll to Employees. I intended to tell my Employer that each day that I do not receive my last pay beyond the last work date, then I will seek a "waiting time penalty". Is this allowed of me?

I also intend to tell my Employer, that should I be forced into court to fight to recover my wages, then I will seek to recover the pay that was not paid for past stand-by days at/near the work site. I will seek to recover "waiting time penalties" for the multiple times the Employer has been late to make payroll, and also the untimely pays for work site projects completed. And I will seek to recover the full balance of my previously converted vacation days. Do I have any right to do this considering I've already signed for and accepted what was paid (ignorantly)?

I really don't want to have to go to court over this.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It's not necessary to go to court for unpaid wages, or even waiting time penalties. Not in California. You can file a wage claim with the DLSE and they'll do all the work for you.

SWIMteam

It's not necessary to go to court for unpaid wages, or even waiting time penalties. Not in California. You can file a wage claim with the DLSE and they'll do all the work for you.
Great. Thanks! And thanks for the link to DLSE on the other forum.

And all for free.
That is also great!

My boss saw how unhappy I was and agreed to give me a raise. Not what I requested, but I expected that, and it was just to up the value of my vacation day cash out when I resign. So...cool, I guess.

SWIMteam

2. Many of our Clients (primarily in the Energy industry) require us to travel to their work site to complete our projects/contracts with them. The Client is charged a day rate for our hire, and a small portion of that is paid to the Employee that travels to complete the project. The Employer does not pay to the Employee days that we are on stand-by. So for example, I have traveled to Alabama to action a project, however I have been put on stand-by at a hotel there because I was unable to get to the work site due to weather, transport issues, no 'green-light' from Client, etc. Employer will not pay the Employee for days spent at a hotel though the Client is billed and pays for those days.

3. Employer does not include pay for on-site work at next coming paydate. Employer instead waits until the Client pays first, then pays the Employee. Recent year, Employer has been incredibly late to include these payments in the paycheck. Some contracts have been paid by the Client for well over a year and the Employer still has not paid the Employee for the work.
I still have some questions regarding these 2 points.

Is it legal for my Employer to charge "door-to-door" for sending me to the job-site, and for my Employer to NOT pay me door-to-door?

Is it legal for this day rate bonus to NOT be included in my next coming payroll?

My Employer states the money our Client pays for our work is "completely irrelevant" to me, and Employer takes liberties to pay me the bonus day rate whenever Employer feels like it.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
How you get paid, and how the client pays your employer, are legally unrelated. You have to be paid for all the hours that are legally considered work time. Nothing in the law says you you have to be paid for all the time the client pays your employer for. How much you get paid is between you and the employer; how much the employer gets paid by the client is between the employer and the client.

Dandy Don

Would you consider having your contract with the employer revised to add the conditions or stipulations that you want to see handled differently?

SWIMteam

Would you consider having your contract with the employer revised to add the conditions or stipulations that you want to see handled differently?
My employment is at-will according to the employee handbook (which my boss just copy pasted from somewhere else, because the document doesn't really apply to the company or the industry that we server).

Anyway,

So, I do get paid a "bonus" for when I am sent to the job site (just not door-to-door as previously mentioned). There is no dispute over that. BUT, I am wondering if my employer is legally required to pay that bonus at the next payday? Employer hasn't paid it in over a year. Employer generally pays it when the client pays the invoice. But lately Employer has been incredibly late to pay those bonuses to every employee in the company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">