• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reduction In Hours

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CHERYLBPN8

What is the name of your state? PENNSYLVANIA -

Due to economic conditions my employer has reclassified me as hourly instead of salary, reduced my hours to 36 hours per week for the next four weeks and then is reducing my hours to 30 hours per week with NO BENEFITS. I currently have 10 vacations days earned while I was salary that I have not taken. Does anyone know if the employer has to pay me for the untaken vacation days and if so at what rate? I cannot survive on the reduced hourly work schedule. Am I entitled to unemployement in the state of PA?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In PA, whether or not vacation time must be paid out depends on company policy.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Sorry, I got interrupted in the middle of my post.

It's not clear whether you are talking about using your vacation time to supplement your pay during the period of reduced hours, or if you're talking about whether it needs to be paid out at termination (either voluntary or involuntary) but in either case the answer is the same; it depends on company policy. PA law does not require it in either situation.

I also cannot tell if you are asking whether or not you can get unemployment while working the reduced hours, whether you are asking if you will get unemployment if you are fired, or if you can get unemployment if you quit. If you are termed for financial reasons you will almost certainly get unemployment. If you continue working at the reduced hours it is possible, but not definite, that you might be able to collect partial benefits. I wouldn't give very good odds of your getting it if you quit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">