• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

restaurant managers increasing claimed tips of servers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DHAllen80

West Virginia. I work at a corporate restaurant . I have recently discovered that managers are increasing the tips that I claim in order to avoid paying an actual check. If I claim 500 dollars for the two week pay period, my check reads that I have claimed over 1000 for the same pay period. This cannot be legal.

commentator

You will most likely not be painting a target on your back, both with Wage and Hour and probably with your corporate headquarters if you can do one thing. That is, keep your mouth shut firmly about what you have done and about what the employer is doing and what is going on and how you and your co workers don't have to take this, blah blah blah.....I have even seen it happen that when the employees are all up in arms about how they are being paid or not being paid, whatever, and one person is very vocal about it, and someone else calls in a complaint, the loud one gets terminated shortly thereafter. (Terminated for some other reason of course, so there's no whistleblower protection for you. Very few employers are going to be dumb enough to make it apparent that was the reason you are terminated, even though it may be perfectly obvious to you.)

But seriously, I'd call Wage and Hour, they will NOT come in and say, "Employee Joe Blow has called us and reported that you were..." What hangs you up is usually that you've rushed out as soon as you have made this call and told all your co workers what you've done, and somebody of course eventually lets the boss know. If there's not a big talker in the break room, they'll be hard pressed to figure out which of their employees did the calling and complaining and they can't fire everyone and continue to stay in business.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">