• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

retirement/severance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sonnyford

What is the name of your state? New York
I work for Ford Mo. Co. Recently severance packages were offered. I have over 30 years of service, (with 30 years at any age I can retire.) The severance packages that were offered were given to any one that was 50 years old with a min. of 10 years of service. The packages were either enhancement of your monthly retirement or a 13 month salary payout if you had 25 or more years. I am 48 years old so I was denied this 13 month buyout even though many of the salary employees that accepted had much less time than myself. My question is, would this be considered age discrimination seeing how if I retire I would not be treated the same as any other 30 year employee that is 50 years old? Is a salary separation package the same as a severance package?

Last edited:

Beth3

My question is, would this be considered age discrimination seeing how if I retire I would not be treated the same as any other 30 year employee that is 50 years old? No, this is not age discrimination. Federal court rulings have made it clear that it is always lawful to "discriminate" in favor of older employees. It is perfectly legal to offer enhanced retirement incentives to employees 50+ years of age and not to anyone younger.

Is a salary separation package the same as a severance package? Probably. Sounds like nothing more than a semantics issue but one would have to read the actual documents to make sure.

sonnyford

eerelations

I am just trying to get a feel for my next possible actions. I truely expected to be part of this buyout. When I was denied I became very angry, especially seeing many others with less time but a little older recieve sizeable buyouts. I am assuming that the resposes I am getting are from lawyers? Either way does anyone think there is a case. I am going to retire anyway now .I am so disgusted. Again thank you for any feedback.

Beth3

Either way does anyone think there is a case. No. What your employer is doing is completely legal - and quite common, by the way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">