• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retroactive

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TW1299

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Live and work in WI, company is in IN.

We are paid commissions 60 days following the close of a 2 month period. For example, my commission for January and February would be paid at the end of April.

I was paid a 10% commission rate for several years. On August 17, 2008, I was informed that the new commission rate would be 5% effective September 1st. At the end of October, I received a check for the July-August sales period and this check was calculated at the 5% rate.

My contention is that my employer cannot retroactively cut my pay. I earned the July-August commissions while the pay rate was 10% and I should be paid at that rate for that period.

It seems obvious to me that this practice is illegal. Can anyone help me understand if this is governed by a Federal law or is it state controlled?

Thank you.

pattytx

You can try filing a claim with the state Dept. of Labor. Some states consider commissions as "wages" for purposes of forward notification; some treat them as merely contract issues and not enforced by state wage and hour laws.

Commissions are not addressed by federal law to this extent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">