• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Salaried Exempt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

baileyake

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Idaho

The HQ of the company I work for is located in Massachussetts, the division I work for is located in New Hampshire, and my office is in Idaho.

We are a software company with about 30 employees in my office. All employees have been designated as salaried exempt, whether they be management, developers, support, telemarkets or administrative.

My role is a hodge-podge of systems administrations, technical support and consulting. I supervise 2 employees and answer to our branch manager.

The company I work for does not offer sick time. We are allowed vacation time, but it does not accrue, and if I were to leave the company I would not be paid the unused balance. They believe that overtime is a necessity.

I have read through the definitions of what qualifies for exempt status and do not believe that there is anyone at my office, aside from a few inidividuals, that qualify. How can I know for sure whether I should be exempt or non-exmpt? IfI should not be labeled as exempt, what can I do about it?

To date I have averaged 8 hours of overtime each week, approximately 88 hours so far this year.

Last edited:

baileyake

Have your brought the matter to the attention of your HR department?
I have not, but another employee did a few years back (she is no longer with the company) and she was told that she was welcome to fight it.

I don't want to rock the boat, especially in this economy, but I want to know my rights if I have a good case.

At one time we were also told to not log overtime on our timesheets.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You are free to address the matter with the state DOL. Since you work in NH, that is the state DOL you would contact.

baileyake

I contacted the Idaho Department of Labor, which referred me to the USDOL, which then referred me to the Portland OR - WHD - District Office. What a mess! So far I have not been able to get anyone to actually speak to me regarding this subject.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you supervise two employees, there is a very good chance that you are exempt.

Betty

You might want to take a look at this link & review the executive (since you supervise 2 employees) & administrative exempt categories & see if you might fall under one of them.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/fairpay/main.htm

las365

Google "Idaho overtime lawyer" and you can find an attorney to talk to who can help figure out whether you are properly classified as exempt. You can probably get a free consultation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">