• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Salaried Exempt Pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

williams04

What is the name of your state? California

I am a Sales & Ops Cood., salaried, exempt and I have worked for my emp. for over 4 yrs. Recently, I injured myself (non-work related) and am unable to drive or sit at a desk for more than 2 hrs at a time. I was given dr's approval that I could work from home via a laptop. My employer has been very hesitant to send me home with a laptop. After days of dragging their feet and contacting their own labor lawyers, they decided they would allow me a laptop to work from home, but they want to document my hrs and will only pay me for those I have worked. The past 4 days I've taken off without the use of a laptop (due to their long decision making process), will be time off unpaid. My understanding is if I am salaried, exempt, I am to be paid for the job and not the hrs. Doesn't California law say:
"...the employer may not deduct for absences due to sickness or injury for less than a week ..."
It is my belief, that if I am capable of still performing my job with a bit of assistance, they are obligated to assist with my medical needs. How can they not pay me over-time for the 12 hr days I put in, but now pay me hourly?

Beth3

I am salaried, exempt, I am to be paid for the job and not the hrs. Doesn't California law say:
"...the employer may not deduct for absences due to sickness or injury for less than a week ..."
Except for any leave time that falls under the Family and Medical Leave Act. Under the Act, exempt employees expressly need not be paid for any FMLA time.

Gadfly

Take the time you're at home to send out resumes. Clearly this is an uncaring company. You can do better.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">