• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Salary Docking during last week

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Maurimart1

I am in the State of Florida. My employer let me go after they decided that they did not need a director level HR professional and that an HR assistant would suffice.

I was terminated on a Wednesday and paid for the last (3) three days of employment. I am well aware that employers are not required to pay the full salary during the first and last week of employment.

However, I wanted to know if there is any exception to this rule. Especially, given that I was basically terminated involuntarily, without cause, and due to "lack of work" for a Director of HR.

The way I look at it, is that I was docked for lack of work during my final week of employment.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

swalsh411

It is legal to treat an exempt salaried employee as hourly during their first and last week and pay only for hours worked. It is also legal to not treat them hourly during their first and last week so long as their pay would otherwise be proper.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I wanted to know if there is any exception to this rule.

An employer MAY make an exception if they choose to. Nothing in the law is going to FORCE them to do so. Regardless of the reason your employment ended.

Betty

No exception in the law/regulation - sorry. (though employer can make one as cbg noted) Apply for unemployment ins. if you have not already done so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">