• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Salary Employee Laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ana900618484

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I am a salary employee in LA CA. I get 3 weeks vacation and 6 days sick pay. I have used up all my time. When I have to leave work early for doctor appointments, or parent conferences or whatever reason, my employer will not pay me for the hours that I left early for. Sometimes its only 2 or 3 hours. sometimes its half day, regardless, if I have vacation time, they deduct it from my vacation time, but if I dont then my employer deducts it from my pay. Is this legal? I thought when you were salary that you got paid regardless no matter what your full hours. I want to bring this up to my employer but I want to know what the laws are first and what are my options.
Thanks

eerelations

There are no laws out there that pertain specifically to salaried employees. The laws you are thinking of pertain to positions called "exempt" by the FLSA. If your job is a salaried non-exempt position, then what your employer is doing is perfectly legal.

If you don't know whether your job is exempt or non-exempt, please tell us what you do - you don't have to write a long job description, just tell us your job title and the two or three main things that you do that make up the bulk of your work day. We can then take a stab at determining whether your job is exempt or non-exempt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">