• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Salary Garnishment Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pammy 1057

What is the name of your state? Indiana

The fine people here some very knowledgeable on legal matters, so I thought I'd sign up and ask my questions here.

I've had a garnishment on my wages for nearly a year now. By all accounts, it should've been paid off in full 3 weeks ago. Yet my paycheck is still being garnishes. I'm struggling with my bills because of said garnishment, and I'd like it off as soon as possible. So I have a few questions...

A) Should they still be taking the garnishment off at this point? How long does it take for the garnishment to be removed, once it's paid in full?

B) Will I be reimbursed for the excess garnished wages? And if so, how long does it take to receive the reimbursement?

Thanks in advance! :)

Pammy 1057

What did Payroll say when you asked them this?
Hello, and thank you for the reply!

I've talked to them regarding the garnishment, and their response was that they've yet to hear anything on it, which is why I'm here. I don't know what else to do really, but, I guess, wait it out. However I'd at least like to know if this situation is "normal" while I'm waiting. I'd hate to wait another month for it to be removed before finding out there was a mistake somewhere, either in the amount that was originally owed or otherwise.

They take out approx. $125 per week. There was just over $23 remaining on it four weeks ago. It's really a financial burden, as I live in a single income household.

Last edited:

eerelations

If your pay has been "over-garnished" you will be reimbursed the "over" amount - eventually. So your issue is really more about when than if.

If you want to be proactive about finding more about when, call the garnishing agency and ask them when they're going to tell Payroll to stop garnishing your pay, how much will be returned to you, and when the repayment will happen. (You can get the garnishing agency's phone number from your copy of the garnish order, or if you've lost that, go to Payroll and get the number from their copy.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">