• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Salary Overpayment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ck283

What is the name of your state? New Jersey
I was hired for a salary of $57,000 (this included benefits), Half of my income was from a government contract and other from my company. They hired a new bookkeeper who determined I was being overpaid. I was actually overpaid by $6,000. I would not have picked up on this probably until I did my taxes for this year. Anyway, my government consultant fee is now being paid through the company. When this occurred, I noticed I was being overpaid and alerted them through phone and email and put this money aside which totaled in my estimation $5,000. Now they sent me a notice that I owe them $19,000 and they want me to pay it all back by ceasing to pay me until the amount is satisfied. What are my rights? I might add that this was noticed in July and nothing was done about until this week even though I repeatedly inquired.

ecmst12

They can NOT withhold your pay in full until the money is paid back, I know that much. They may not be able to withhold anything from your pay without your express permission, but that varies by state. At the very least, you must receive minimum wage for all hours worked. Did they provide you with a detailed accounting of the overpayment? Do you agree with the amount? It's good that you have the 5k set aside, hopefully they will agree to take that and work out a payment schedule for the rest. But make sure you are all in agreement as to the amount of the overpayment first.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">