• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Salary pay short due to change in work week

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mj123

What is the name of your state?NC
Company that I work for changed pay week from Thursday through Wednesday to Monday through Saturday with less than a week's notice. Therefore salary check is short 3 days, will not make up the pay that is owed unless termination of employment. Get paid bi-weekly Salary, paydates are still the same throughout the year, they've basically taken 3 days of my salary...with no intention of repaying what I'm owed unless I quit. Is this legal? And shouldn't there be more of a notice given to those of us who can't afford to have a $600.00 pay cut with no way to make it up? Need some advice...Help!

pattytx

I am assuming by "salary" you mean exempt.

It's not illegal to change the workweek definition and adjust that week's pay accordingly for exempt employees. Should they have given you more notice? Probably yes, at least a month, since it was affecting your pay. However, I seriously doubt you have any legal recourse here. Sorry I don't have better news for you; it was not the way I would have handled it, but I don't believe it is illegal. However, you can always contact the federal Dept. of Labor and inquire.

I have a feeling they may have actually changed the workweek due to a cash flow problem, because there is no other valid business reason I can think of to change the workweek for exempt employees. That might be the only thing that could save you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">