• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

salary reduction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pate106

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachuetts
Can a employer give you a higher hrly rate for 1 1/2 months and then drop it at any time? I was making 14.93 hrly and then dropped to 10.00/hrly. I was moved from one building to another, doing the same job, keeping the same job title, but just lesser money. My new boss says he can change my salary any time he wants. Can I do anything about this?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You can find a job where the employer is more reasonable.

As long as he gives you notice of the reduction before you work any hours at the lower rate and does not drop you below $8 (which is minimum wage in MA) your employer is, to all intents and purposes, correct.

This assumes that you do not have a legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA that guarantees your wage will not drop below the higher rate. (Hint - an offer letter is not a contract.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">