• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

salary reduction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eballe

What is the name of your state (NV)?
I'm aware than employer has the right to reduce my current salary due to company's finacial restraints. However, I'm only working 3 hrs a day and lowering my salary makes the job pointless.

1) Can I refuse the salary reduction without getting fired or terminated?

2) My objective is for the employer to lay me off, so that I'll have the option to collect unemployment insurance or find another job without looking like I quit my last job. How can I approach my current employer to do this for me?

3) What is my legal rights or options if employer reduced my current salary?

Thanks
E

moburkes

What is the name of your state (NV)?
I'm aware than employer has the right to reduce my current salary due to company's finacial restraints. However, I'm only working 3 hrs a day and lowering my salary makes the job pointless.

1) Can I refuse the salary reduction without getting fired or terminated?

2) My objective is for the employer to lay me off, so that I'll have the option to collect unemployment insurance or find another job without looking like I quit my last job. How can I approach my current employer to do this for me?

3) What is my legal rights or options if employer reduced my current salary?

Thanks
E
No, by refusing the reduction you would be resigning.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
1) Can I refuse the salary reduction without getting fired or terminated? To put it bluntly, no. I can't say that your employer WILL fire you but he CAN fire you. No law gives you the right or option of refusing it with no repercussions and no law protects your job if you do. You would also stand a very good chance of having it seen by the UI office as a voluntary quit.

2) My objective is for the employer to lay me off, so that I'll have the option to collect unemployment insurance or find another job without looking like I quit my last job. How can I approach my current employer to do this for me? Very carefully. Your employer would be a fool to do so. Why should he lay you off so that he's definitely on the hook for your unemployment when he's got at least a reasonable chance of not being charged (if you even get it at all) by insisting on the pay reduction and having you leave over it?

3) What is my legal rights or options if employer reduced my current salary? To apply for UI and see if you can get partial benefits to make up the difference (assuming you stay on the job) or to find employment that will pay you what you want to be paid. Barring a bona fide contract or CBA that specifically says otherwise, your right under the law is to be paid minimum wage times hours worked and time and a half minimum wage for hours over 40. Anything else is at the discretion of the employer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">