• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shift Changes?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amonty

Florida

I am employed in Florida, I work in a call center. I have had the same shift for the past 2 years. About 10 months ago I was divorced, and a visitation schedule was made based on my current schedule and the fact that I was in a job with a flexible schedule. Recently my company has laid off or fired 5 people. Due to the loss of staffing I was told that I will have to start working a different shift. The new shift change will require me to:

1. Purchase another car (we only have 1 car and the shift is at wacky hours)
2. Plead with my ex-wife to change visitation
3. Delay the closing of a house which I am in contract to purchase (I have to buy a car which will leave me strapped)

As you can see this is an action with many serious consequences for me and my family. I was told the change is "firm" and there may be very little if anything they can do to help. I don't know what my legal rights are with my employer or how to go about talking to them about it?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You do not have the legal right to the same shift unless you have a legally binding contract or CBA that specifically says otherwise. It is entirely up to the employer how to utilize his resources, including his employees.

You are free to explain to the employer what your circumstances are, and politely request that he leave you on the same shift. If he refuses, your options are to find another job that will allow you to work the hours you want/need to work.

commentator

And if you are fired or quit because you refused the shift change, you may not be approved for unemployment benefits. Because these are very personal reasons, not work related reasons you left the job or refused the shift change. Most states require the person to be available for all shifts to receive unemployment. Working a certain shift is very rarely considered a right, and you have no legal recourse if they want to change you. Unless you work for a company with a union and they can negotiate for you. Im with patty, you can try talking to the employer and explaining to them why this would be so bad for you. But if they're already saying it is mandatory, it probably won't help. So you have to ajust to a new shift somehow.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">