• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shift differential

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ph34r3d

What is the name of your state? PA

Before I was hired I was told I would be receiving a 10% shift differential for working 3rd shift. I recently found out I have only been receiving a 7% shift differential. I have read through the company hand book and do not see any information in there about the shift differential that is offered for my shift, or any other shift. Does the company need to have the shift differential documented somewhere to state that employees receive x amount shift differential for x shift? If not, am I able to file a complaint and be entitle to back wages?

Thanks in advance

yjkaries

Did you get this in writing? In our company we give a 1.00 per hour differential for anyone working the 2nd shift but it is included in the employment agreement and only applies to certain positions.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Shift differentials are not required by law. It is entirely up to the employer whether or not to offer one and if so, what. It is extremely unlikely that the DOL will enforce a shift differential, particularly with nothing in writing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">