• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Short Term Disability Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Crumbles

State I live in: Georgia, USA

I have a short term disability (STD) question.

I was out on STD for a while, and I have recently come back to work. My STD claim is still in the "pending" status, so I don't know if it has been approved yet. However, despite this, my employer is telling me that I was overpaid while I was out. In otherwords I was getting more than 60% of my salary due to a payroll glitch. I was not put on STD pay as soon as I should have been.

Anyway, even if my STD gets approved, I will still owe money back to my company. If it get's approved I will owe about $1,200 and if it doesn't get approved, I will owe around $6,000.

What is the legal limit they can take from my paycheck every time to collect on the debt I owe to them?

I am salary, and make (due to raises a really weird number in salary) about $43,500 give or take a few.

Thanks for any advice.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Unless GA has a really weird state law (and knowing Georgia, I very much doubt they have any laws on the subject) they can take as much as it takes, as long as you still receive minimum wage times hours worked. This applies regardless of whether you are exempt or non-exempt, paid on an hourly basis or salaried.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">