• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sign on Bonus

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MeghanD

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

Want to know if i have any rights... please bare with me as i tell the story

I worked for one company that ended up going out of business and filing bankrupcy. The CFO of that company decided to open up a new company. I was asked to work at the new company. Because I was not paid my PTO from the first company I stated that I would not sign onto the new company unless my new boss to give me a sign on bonus of the equivalent to what I lost ($3,000). He stated that he would make it a Christmas bonus as he did not have the money currently. Well Christmas came and went and nothing came across. I got terminated in mid-January due to no fault of my own. Now i am wondering am i not entitled to the $3,000 that he promised me as my terms for signing on to the business? Also I do not have this in a written contract but it was a verbal contract with a witness present.

What are my rights?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Beth3

You have the right to hire an attorney, file suit, and hope a judge rules that the statements made by the CFO constituted a binding oral contract. Of couse the problem with that is (a) the outcome is uncertain and (b) it's expensive. Even if a judge rules in your favor, you could spend that much or more on legal fees.

I'd suggest two cheaper options.

1. Have an attorney write a letter threatening legal action if the bonus is not paid to you by [reasonable date], and/or
2. File a claim in small claims court.

Beth3

I just noticed you're in CA so there is one other option you can try before those two. CA has a "fair dealing" statute that applies to employers so you should call CA's Department of Labor and see if they can assist you. It's a long-shot but it's worth a call.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">