• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small fine being used to avoid compensation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jeffack

I live in North Carolina.

I am a graduate student at a public university. I teach classes and, in exchange, the university pays my tuition as well as a stipend. The university is claiming that I owe money to them in parking tickets and is currently blocking my registration. It seems to me that, because part of my compensation is my tuition, they cannot do this without due process; this is comparable to an employer deciding to deduct money from my paycheck without my approval (which, outside of very rare exceptions, seems to be illegal based on my research). Also, I'm continuing to teach (work) through all of this.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I live in North Carolina.

I am a graduate student at a public university. I teach classes and, in exchange, the university pays my tuition as well as a stipend. The university is claiming that I owe money to them in parking tickets and is currently blocking my registration. It seems to me that, because part of my compensation is my tuition, they cannot do this without due process; this is comparable to an employer deciding to deduct money from my paycheck without my approval (which, outside of very rare exceptions, seems to be illegal based on my research). Also, I'm continuing to teach (work) through all of this.
Thanks for sharing...now pay your fines and sin no more.

eerelations

While it's illegal to deduct certain things from a paycheque without the employee's prior approval, it's not illegal to decide not to pay an employee anything above minimum wage. If your stipend meets minimum wage, then that's all your employer has to pay you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This is more akin to the employee of a city receiving a parking ticket from the city. It really has nothing to do with employment and labor law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">