• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen Paycheck... BUT NOBODY WILL PICK UP THE PHONE!!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NillyTheJew

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Hi all... So, I saw an "old friend" yesterday after picking up my paycheck, and when I had gotten home, the check was gone. He is very much the type of person to steal a check, and his reaction when I told him it had gone missing tells me he sure as **** has it or has already cashed it. Problem is, it's Saturday and NOBODY will pick up the telephone... My manager simply told me he couldn't do a thing & I needed to call the company HQ using the payroll extension, BUT, HQ does not work weekends. All of the banks are already closed, so I can't call the bank and request a stop payment. I've been on hold with Bank of America's support line for 20 minutes now, and I don't know what else to do!!! I'm freaking out about this, and I don't kniw what to do. UGH!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Proserpina

Hi all... So, I saw an "old friend" yesterday after picking up my paycheck, and when I had gotten home, the check was gone. He is very much the type of person to steal a check, and his reaction when I told him it had gone missing tells me he sure as **** has it or has already cashed it. Problem is, it's Saturday and NOBODY will pick up the telephone... My manager simply told me he couldn't do a thing & I needed to call the company HQ using the payroll extension, BUT, HQ does not work weekends. All of the banks are already closed, so I can't call the bank and request a stop payment. I've been on hold with Bank of America's support line for 20 minutes now, and I don't know what else to do!!! I'm freaking out about this, and I don't kniw what to do. UGH!!!!
And has anyone answered the phone yet?

I cannot for the life of me think of why someone would want to steal from your good self.

justalayman

Is there some reason you have not reported the crime to the police?

justalayman

Hi all... So, I saw an "old friend" yesterday after picking up my paycheck, and when I had gotten home, the check was gone. He is very much the type of person to steal a check, and his reaction goddamn telephone... My manager simply told me he couldn't do a thing & I needed to call the company HQ using the payroll extension, BUT, HQ does not work weekends. All of the banks are already closed, so I can't call the bank and request a stop payment. I've been on hold with Bank of America's support line for 20 minutes now, and I don't know what else to do!!! I'm freaking out about this, and I don't kniw what to do. UGH!!!!
You couldn't request a stop payment anyway. The check was not written on your account.

Silverplum

The underlying issue is though. Op needs to report the crime to the police. I suspect employer is going to say; ya, sure without a police report
Screaming at us about someone, somewhere not answering the phone is not going to accomplish anything. That's my point. Your points are quite correct, also.

LdiJ

I echo the others in saying that you need to report the stolen paycheck to the police.

Otherwise, there is nothing you can do until Monday morning when you will need to notify HR that the check was stolen. They will need to place a stop payment and issue you a new check. Therefore freaking out won't help you.

NillyTheJew

And has anyone answered the phone yet?
Yes, Bank of America answered and told me that since I hadn't signed the check, nobody would be able to cash it successfully without showing my matching ID... but I cash all of my checks at a local Walmart without showing ID. Lazy employees I assume. And it would be as simple as forging my signature onto the check to make the check appear to have been signed over to him. But I don't think there's a thing left for me to do as of now, other than hope & pray he has a harder time cashing the check than I usually do.

If he did manage to cash the check, is there any way I can prove it wasn't me that cashed the check? Would there be any way of proving that no ID was shown when the check was cashed? Or maybe a signature comparison to one of my previous checks? I have a bad feeling that this isn't gonna work out well for me...

I cannot for the life of me think of why someone would want to steal from your good self.
Hmm? I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. I can't think of a good reason anyone should steal from anybody else, regardless of whether the victim is a good person.

Hopefully you guys can shed some light on this all and calm me down some. Thanks in advance.

NillyTheJew

Is there some reason you have not reported the crime to the police?
I have, and I was told that there was nothing the police could do other than open a report, which (again, this is just was I was told) won't be of much help as I don't know that he's stolen my check.

Proserpina

Yes, Bank of America answered and told me that since I hadn't signed the check, nobody would be able to cash it successfully without showing my matching ID... but I cash all of my checks at a local Walmart without showing ID. Lazy employees I assume. And it would be as simple as forging my signature onto the check to make the check appear to have been signed over to him. But I don't think there's a thing left for me to do as of now, other than hope & pray he has a harder time cashing the check than I usually do.

If he did manage to cash the check, is there any way I can prove it wasn't me that cashed the check? Would there be any way of proving that no ID was shown when the check was cashed? Or maybe a signature comparison to one of my previous checks? I have a bad feeling that this isn't gonna work out well for me...

Hmm? I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. I can't think of a good reason anyone should steal from anybody else, regardless of whether the victim is a good person.

Hopefully you guys can shed some light on this all and calm me down some. Thanks in advance.
We are not your therapist/s.

justalayman

The bank lied to you. There are many ways to cash a check not endorsed by the payee, some of them actual legal.

If you have not yet called the police you need to do so. Failing to call them as soon as you learned about the theft may cause the employer to refuse to issue a new check and leave you to your own devices in collecting from your friend.

justalayman

I have, and I was told that there was nothing the police could do other than open a report, which (again, this is just was I was told) won't be of much help as I don't know that he's stolen my check.
The cops lied. Not only can they open a report they can investigate the theft and arrest the thief if he is found with the check in his possession. What they do is up to them though.

NillyTheJew

We are not your therapist/s.
I'd meant that a fact shared might calm me down. No need to get snarky.

I apologize if I came off rude or unprofessional. I am just really worked up about this, as losing two weeks' pay would be a major blow to me. I'm grateful for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">