• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Strange sign on bonus clause

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chewp

Colorado

Hey all,

I moved across country to take a job which I absolutely hate and need to get out of, the problem is I have to pay back 50% of the sign on bonus if I leave before 1 year. The confusion comes in with the wording here:

Sign-on Bonus Repayment Schedule - Length of Service

Date of acceptance of new position to date of separation or transfer.

-Less Than 6 Months - 100% of actual sign-on bonus

-6 Months but less than 12 Months - 50% of actual sign-on bonus

At the bottom of the offer letter this clause is contained in I have signed and dated next to the verbiage "Accepted on." Does this mean I can leave one year past the acceptance date? I am skeptical because normally it would be the start date.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Chewp

eerelations

Sounds like a year after the acceptance date, however, if I was you I'd definitely run the entire agreement past an attorney before submitting my resignation.

Noobx04

Check with HR

You could run it by HR too. I would go by the date ne,t to your signature one the bonus. Good luck

Noobx04

Just to clarify

I'm 100% sure it's your accepting date since it is stated in the terms I pasted below. It clearly states date of acceptance. Just confirm the date next to your signature stated above.

"Date of acceptance of new position to date of separation or transfer"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">