• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Strong-armed into accepting $0 pay for a temp job managing expense budget.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

buggie111

(Arizona) Nonprofit strong-armed me into accepting $0 salary and did not provide 50% of stipulated project funding for duration of contract. Am I still obligated to reimburse them for whatever money they did provide?

In early September I was offered a position as coordinator of a voter registration campaign in our area by an out-of-state CA non-profit looking to expand into a heavily Hispanic suburb nearby me. The five positions available 2x chairperson, 2X coordinator, treasurer were all advertised as $2000 flat- rate jobs for the duration of the registration period. Training was to be offered in California for the job. I reviewed my schedule and realized that I did not have time to adequately work as a coordinator, but would still be able to manage finances for the local operation and agreed to take on the role of treasurer - still advertised as being paid. We were driven out to California and had training.

During training it was stated that each local operation would get $1000 in two $500 installments for necessary equipment and compensation. After signing my contract, it was clarified that only coordinators and 'chairpeople' of each operation would be paid the flat rate and that I the only treasurer left in the room, as others had taken off was doing this without a set pay. They hinted that a cost- efficient job managing the money would give me the remainder, but none of that was in writing. As I was in California without a cheap way of getting back otherwise, I signed on. They handed me my first $500 check for project expenses and we packed up and left.

The operation was a failure (hit 15% of our goal numbers) and the lack of involvement from the chairpeople forced me to take on a larger role in the project than treasurer. The second $500 supplies check never came. After registration period had ended, I realized that my financial balance sheets were not perfectly in order - roughly $30 unaccounted for. The nonprofit is asking the coordinator for final financial reports while withholding half his pay, and he is forwarding those requests to me. All discrepancies in the balance sheet are to be paid out of my pocket, as well as the remainder of the $500 we were given for supplies. I have the receipts to verify most of our spending during the operation - except for the aforementioned $30. However, as I was never paid, worked more than my position stipulated, and never got half of the resource budget, I want to know if I am still liable to pay the remaining money money not spent money w/o receipts back to them?

buggie111

Are you really asking if it's ok to steal money?
Semantically speaking, maybe. This money is currently in my possession, to be used as I see fit. I could have bought $500 of Taco Bell had I felt like it and claimed it as feeding volunteers, but I did not.

Am I legally obligated to pay them back despite them failing to uphold their end of the contract?

Last edited:

justalayman

Semantically speaking, maybe. Am I legally obligated to pay them back despite them failing to uphold their end of the contract?
Semantics are irrelevant.

Taking/retaining money that doesn't belong to you is theft. You can choose to return their money to them or you can be seen as a thief. The true owner can sue you. They can report the crime to the police. Whether you would be prosecuted would be up to the prosecutor where the complaint is filed.

. I could have bought $500 of Taco Bell had I felt like it and claimed it as feeding volunteers, but I did not.
but you didn't. Given the fact your contract has ended, you are holding unspent money. Unless there is something in your contract that states you are allowed to retain any unspent funds, you are obligated to return it.

Last edited:

buggie111

Unless there is something in your contract that states you are allowed to retain any unspent funds, you are obligated to return it.
Alright, well that's awfully clear.

Presumably they'e not in any violation of CA law for employing me without any compensation either?

justalayman

Alright, well that's awfully clear.

Presumably they'e not in any violation of CA law for employing me without any compensation either?
Wage and hour laws do not apply to independant contractors. If you believe you were an employee rather than an independent contractor you can file a compliant with the Arizona department of labor or the federal DOL.

buggie111

Well, then this is a nice $30 learning experience unless my coworker finds other expenses to retroactively file (I remember him taking multiple Ubers that did not come up on my initial request for his receipts - we'll see). Sorry for taking up this much time on a cut/dry issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">