• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suspended without Pay pending Investigation (California Exempt Employee)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aml830

I am the General Manager of a Movie Theatre in California. My position is Exempt per company policy and my job description. Yesterday my District Manager told me he needed a statement from me regarding allegations of misconduct (inappropriate comments and conversations at work). He also said that as soon as I gave him my statement I was to be suspended without pay pending the completion of the investigation. I asked why suspension was being dolled out before I was given a chace to state my side and he said it was determined that the investigation needed to continue without me on site.

Due to Califoria's labor laws my company has a policy against suspending employees becuase their wages are due the time of suspension. I was not provided with my wages.

I have been researching the situation on line and the following address: (http://www.calbizcentral.com/hrc/qanda/qa/pages/qa.aspx?questionid=273&categoryid=92) states that
"An employer also may place an exempt employee on a disciplinary suspension; however, the employee's salary must be continued. Although an employer may feel that if you have to continue to pay an employee, there is no punishment, being placed on suspension is a very strong disciplinary action and can be effective in changing performance. The suspension also will document that the employer used progressive discipline. "
and
"Although federal law permits deductions for serious safety violations as well as for infractions of workplace conduct rules, provided the suspension and deduction from salary is for a complete day from an exempt employee's pay, there are no provisions in state law that would allow any employer to make such a deduction from an exempt employee's pay for disciplinary reasons. Thus, to comply with state law, his/her salary must be continued."
Does anyone know labor regulation or the specific law that this situation relates to? I have searched the DLSE's database and manual but nothing regarding this specific situation has come up.

Thank you for any assistance.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There is not a requirement that you be paid for any pay period in which you did not work at all.

aml830

Can anyone point me toward case law, DLSE regulations, or the section of the california code that relates to these statements?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">