• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Switch to draw+commission, required non-sales hours?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kabeck

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut

I work for a nationwide retailer that has recently made changes to some departments in our local store. Employees in certain departments have been switched from salary (full-time) or hourly (part-time) to a minimum-wage draw plus commission. This was a sign-or-be-let-go change. Additionally, these employees are now required to come in 1 hour (full-time) or 30 minutes (part-time) before their shift begins to do non-sales work such as stocking, packing, etc. How is it that hours can be required where there is no sales potential and therefore no earning potential, which only count against the draw? Honestly, I don't see how the draw is even ok but apparently it is, so who am I to say..

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut

I work for a nationwide retailer that has recently made changes to some departments in our local store. Employees in certain departments have been switched from salary (full-time) or hourly (part-time) to a minimum-wage draw plus commission. This was a sign-or-be-let-go change. Additionally, these employees are now required to come in 1 hour (full-time) or 30 minutes (part-time) before their shift begins to do non-sales work such as stocking, packing, etc. How is it that hours can be required where there is no sales potential and therefore no earning potential, which only count against the draw? Honestly, I don't see how the draw is even ok but apparently it is, so who am I to say..
Its not illegal. As long as you are making at least minimum wage for the hours you work, plus overtime for any hours after 40 in a given week, then they are obeying the law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">