• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

teachers pay question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dillon

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ohio

Public schools are state schools, Right?

Shouldnt teachers demand to be paid in gold and silver coin?

I mean, Article 1 Section 10 of the Constitution reads in part: "No state shall ... make anything but gold and silver coin a tender in payment of debt"

where can i find a lawyer to bring this issue to court?

justalayman

there are days I really miss IAAL. He would have had a field day with you Dillon. I don't feel like being banned so I will refrain.

The Constitution provides that no State shall “…make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts…”

The confusion arises simply how you read the Constitution.

Note that the words specifically state “make.” That word means no State can forcibly demand payment in anything other than gold or silver. However, note carefully that the Constitution makes no mention of other possible forms of voluntary payment. Nor should there be any mention in a free enterprise society. That is, if a person offers payment in a form or substance other than gold or silver, the State can certainly accept such payments. Indeed, in the early days of the nation when currency was in short supply, payments were often made in actual goods and services.
In other words, your interpretation is about as backwards as it can get. The statement is regarding what the state can require as payment to them, not how they must pay debts. They cannot demand you pay in marbles (which I believe you would have a difficult time doing anyway as I believe you have lost yours) but there is nothing preventing them from accepting them if they are willing.

Perky

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ohio

Public schools are state schools, Right?

Shouldnt teachers demand to be paid in gold and silver coin?

I mean, Article 1 Section 10 of the Constitution reads in part: "No state shall ... make anything but gold and silver coin a tender in payment of debt"

where can i find a lawyer to bring this issue to court?
I'll support this as long as I'm paid in early 20th century silver dollars paid at face value. :D

With your analysis of the Constitution, sounds like you're practicing this: "We are committed to the application of reason and science to the understanding of the universe and to the solving of human problems."

eerelations

Dillon, to answer your question, try the Yellow Pages.

I'm curious about something, though - even if your case has merit (and I'm not saying whether I personally think it does), what about all those teachers (probably a majoprity of them) who don't want to be paid with a bunch of gold and silver coins every payday?

Antigone*

In honor of one of my favorite movies, Monsters, Inc.

2319, 2319 we've got a 2319. Someone please call in the CDA:eek:

CourtClerk

Dillon, to answer your question, try the Yellow Pages.

I'm curious about something, though - even if your case has merit (and I'm not saying whether I personally think it does), what about all those teachers (probably a majoprity of them) who don't want to be paid with a bunch of gold and silver coins every payday?
What happens if the attorney wants to be paid in a bunch of gold and silver coins??? How is Dillon gonna pay them?

workinggirl486

50 dollars worth of silver coins says this is a homework question...

(sorry, waiting for a response to my own question and I couldn't resist. I'm serious though - I'll bet anything this is a homework question)

aldaron

So paying the state $$$$ is purely voluntary? A state cannot demand to be paid in $$$$. I think next time I need plates i'll offer them a used couch, lets see how far that goes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">