• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Texas - forcing employees to attent offsite "party"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alerion

I am an employee in Texas. I am currently working under a heavy deadline and the company has stated that a mandatory "party" would be held on a boat in the middle of nowhere instead of a regular work day.

When I said I had too much work and would rather get my job done, I was told they would charge me vacation time if I didn't attend their party.

Is this legal? Can they force me to burn paid time off just so that I can get my job done? Can they force offsite gatherings in Texas? Any information about the legality of this would be helpful.

Much appreciated
-AlerionWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

I am an employee in Texas. I am currently working under a heavy deadline and the company has stated that a mandatory "party" would be held on a boat in the middle of nowhere instead of a regular work day.

When I said I had too much work and would rather get my job done, I was told they would charge me vacation time if I didn't attend their party.

Is this legal? Can they force me to burn paid time off just so that I can get my job done? Can they force offsite gatherings in Texas? Any information about the legality of this would be helpful.

Much appreciated
-AlerionWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Yes, they can mandate that you attend the off-site event. Have fun at the party work will still be there when you get back.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
As long as they are signing your paycheck, they control your work hours.

Yes, it is legal (in all 50 states) for them to require you to attend an offsite party. If it is mandatory and you are non-exempt, you have to be paid for the time; if you are exempt, you are not entitled by law to additional compensation but you still have to be where they say to be when they say to be there.

Paid vacation is not required by law in any state. Since there are no laws making it a protected benefit, the employer gets to say when and under what conditions it can/will be used. If the rule is that anyone who does not attend a mandatory function has to use vacation for that time, there is nothing in the law that would prohibit that requirement.

pattytx

The company knows about your deadline. Maybe they just think that everybody has been working very hard and need a break...fun...paid for by the company.

Agree with wirelessany1. Go, have a good time, and start again when you return to work.

LeeHarveyBlotto

While "mandatory fun" is stupid nearly beyond belief, as long as you're drawing a paycheck from these chuckleheads, you get to go to a party instead of doing your work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">