• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there any way to be an employee for a company if you are from a different state?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Deygus

I have a question. I currently live in Florida and the Company I work for now has an Official Office residing in California. I started out as an Independent Contractor and my boss originally was going to offer me Full Time Employee Contract working remotely so that I can stay here in Florida. However, I later got a response back from him saying that he couldn't do it and that his lawyer strongly advised against it because it would require him to pay more taxes both in California and also here in Florida just to make that work. I am wondering how true that is and if there is any way around that problem so that I could actually go through with that if possible?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The question is moot. The corporate attorney has advised his client and his client has made a decision based on that advice. You're not going to be able to change his mind based on a bit of googling and information received from strangers on the internet.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, it is true.

No, there is nothing you can do that will force him to hire you.

Deygus

Yes, it is true.

No, there is nothing you can do that will force him to hire you.
That's fine then and thanks anyways. I had a strong feeling that was going to be the case, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask about it otherwise it would've been one of those questions stuck looming in the back of my mind.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">