• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tipping out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AloMel142

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

I am in the restaurant business and I am a bartender. My boss is now trying to make all waitresses and bartenders tip out the oyster shucker each shift regardless of services rendered. As a bartender, I am tipped out by every waitress because I make all of the drinks in the place... So at the end of the day if I have 3 waitresses I get 3 tip outs and have to turn around and give one of my tips to the oyster shucker even if I don't have any oysters. Is that legal?? :confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

JETX

As a bartender, I am tipped out by every waitress because I make all of the drinks in the place.
And of course, that is NOT true. You don't 'make' the tap water or iced tea ordered by customers, yet YOU get a 'tip out' as if you did??
Why would you think it any different for 'tipping out' an oyster shucker under the same circumstances??

Is that legal??
Yes... just as legal as YOU getting tip outs for those orders where you don't supply bar drinks.
BTW, do YOU share YOUR (bar) tips with the wait-staff??

Last edited by a moderator:

xylene

??? confused?

And of course, that is NOT true. You don't 'make' the tap water or iced tea ordered by customers, yet YOU get a 'tip out' as if you did??
Why would you think it any different for 'tipping out' an oyster shucker under the same circumstances??

Yes... just as legal as YOU getting tip outs for those orders where you don't supply bar drinks.
BTW, do YOU share YOUR (bar) tips with the wait-staff??
Why not?? :D
No one tips for table water (which are generally gratis...) and 'real' Ice Tea IS made by the bartender... and if you are referring to fountain drinks (and dispensed water) the answer to whether that is 'fair' or no depends on who pours them.

Wait staff do not pour ANY beverages (including water and fountain drinks) at most establishments with a bar, particularly better establishments. The poster did not say he worked at TGiFridays...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">