• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tipping out bus boys / bartenders

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Timmerfox

I have been told by the restaurant I work at that I am required to tip out the bus boys and bartender at the end of my shift. Is this legal? I have never been required to do this before.

justalayman

they must have removed the question about the state.

Nope, I checked. it's still there. It looked like this:

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I guess your question was more important. Guess again.

Indiana Filer

I have been told by the restaurant I work at that I am required to tip out the bus boys and bartender at the end of my shift. Is this legal? I have never been required to do this before.
You cannot get an accurate legal answer without the name of your state, but I can give you the commonsense answer.

If you do not tip out to the bartender, the drinks for your tables will be prepared very slowly, may not be as strong, and might not be as tasty as the customers would like. If you do not tip out to the bus boys, your tables will be the last to be cleaned, which means your tables will be sitting empty and dirty. All of this is going to reduce the amount of tips you earn. If you make the bartender and bus boys happy, they can take actions that will increase your tips above the amounts you tip out to them. Otherwise, you're hurting yourself first.

eerelations

If the reason you're "stateless" is that you're in Canada, then your answer is that this practice is not only legal in Canada, it's encouraged by lawmakers, who have created a separate minimum wage specifically for bartenders and busboys (just like the one for servers) on the assumption that bartenders and busboys get tipped out by servers.

This is a very common practice in Canada, and if you really are in Canada, I'm very surprised that you haven't come across it before.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">