• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Travel time pay, NO local office

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

david29967

What is the name of your state?California. Non-exempt employee.
Company pay policy regarding travel states:
This travel time is recorded and paid at the appropriate straight-time rate in 15 min. increments, except that the employee is not paid for the first and last 45 minutes of the business day, unless otherwise dictated by state law. This is considered commuting time, defined as travel time from the employee's home to the first and from the last customer site of the day. Overtime applies in accordance with federal and state law.
One of my co-workers states that this is against federal law because there is NO local office, the closest one is about 400 miles away.
They also charge the customers "portal-to-portal" even if that is my home.
I have not been submitting the 45 minutes but I need to know the truth. I am not going to start charging th time on the word of mouth of a coworker as I want to be in compliance with the policy but not if it is not legal for them to do this. This has always been a sore subject.
Anyone know?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">