• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unemployment audit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

doppelganger

I live in Maryland, and have been (unfortunately) on unemployment for 8 months now. A few weeks ago, my benefits were exhausted. I spoke with someone at their office who said I could file for an extension. I declined to, as I was on a 3rd interview with a company and felt certain I'd be hired. I wasn't. I called today to file for the extension, and informed them I had enrolled in a night school class (once weekly, 6 - 10 pm). She told me that I'd be contacted regarding it, to make sure I still qualified as eligible for benefits. I am concerned I will be audited (they conduct random audits of people collecting unemployment in MD) and I do not have nearly my full job application history. I am pretty unorganized. Most of my sent mail is gone from my email, and my job application history through Monster and Adecco is spotty, and in no way shows a search history every week (I applied to more jobs from craigslist than through monster or adecco). What if I'm audited? What will happen, will I go to jail, etc?

I'm pretty worried here.

I didn't want to file for an extension for exactly this fear, but I have no other alternative right now as far as income. I'd appreciate any knowledge or advice anyone could give.

pattytx

You're not going to go to jail.

If you're audited, they're basically going to look for whether you answered all the questions on your biweekly claims truthfully. That's it. The claimant's handbook specifically states that you should keep records of your job contacts, to prove you were searching for work. Other than that, unless there was some type of fraud, you shouldn't really have anything to worry about.

doppelganger

Thanks...I was just concerned not having all of my older application history (recently I have been much more thorough and organized).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">