• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unemployment benefit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rachcrocker

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? washington

is it legal for my employer to not pay into unemployment insurance for me if I am named as an officer even when I receive a regular w2 and have no stake in the company the title is in name only

commentator

If you have not already, go on and file for your unemployment benefits (this is assuming you have been laid off, or the company has closed, or let you go.)

At this point, when you are told there have been no wages paid in for you, and you are therefore not monetarily eligible for a claim, you need to file an appeal, called a "wage protest." You will submit your W-2, your paycheck stubs, and the employer will be contacted.

Then the unemployment office will make the determination whether you were appropriately not paid in for. If it is determined that you did not meet the definition of a company officer, and they failed to pay you will be paid unemployment insurance from the general state fund, and your former company will be penalized for the taxes they did not pay in for you.

The legality of their not paying for you is something that will be determined by the tax enforcement department of the state. They can make them pay if they are supposed to, dependent on the circumstances.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">