• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment Claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

doubleE

What is the name of your state? new york

I filed for unemployment about a month ago. I quit my job, mid november, because someone was trying to get me fired. Someone put a bag of weed in the company van after I did a pick up, and I was 99% sure of who did it. I told the employers I didn't feel comfortable working in the same room as that person and I wanted to put my two weeks in. They said I could go home and get paid the two weeks. I did so.
At the end of 3 weeks later I couldn't find a job so I filed for unemployment. It would seem that I put that i was fired instead of me quiting. Now they are withholding my second check, and so forth, till i send a response saying what the deal is. My previous employer sent them the info that i was discharged with the two weeks paid.
Is this something I'm going to get into trouble over? Do i tell them it was a mistake on my part?

eerelations

You don't get UI benefits if you quit, except in very specific circumstances (like you were forced to quit because you were being sexually harassed, or you were being discriminated against because of your race, gender, disability, or religion, etc., or your workplace was unsafe, and so on). Nothing in your post indicates that you quit for any reasons like that.

So even if your former employer had told the UI people that you'd quit, you still wouldn't receive UI benefits.

However, your former employer told the UI people that you were discharged - and you were! By making you leave prior to you working out your two weeks' notice period, your former employer fired you. So you won't be entitled to UI benefits in this situation either.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">