• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment re: Reduction in hours

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

movinon1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

My employer reduced my hours down to 15/per week back in July due to a lack of work. (He doesn't want 2 people at the front desk when there is only 1 doctor on duty). So, I filed a claim based on reduction of hours because at the time, we did not have an additional doctor hired yet, and there was no indication that there would be a new doctor on board.

My claim was accepted, and I am awaiting further info on certifying and receiving benefits.

For August, he gave me my hours back, but for September has dropped me down again. We now have a new doctor, so it is not for a lack of work, but because, as he stated today, "as punishment" of a trumped up charge as a reason to fire me. He backed down on it when I provided documentation of my dispute against the charges and the manager backed ME up.

Today, I met with him to discuss getting back to at least 30 hrs/ week. He then stated it was the manager who made the cuts and it was her fault and referred me back to her. (it's untrue - HE creates the final schedule for employees and makes the cuts and she only changes the form and hands it out after his approval and changes.)

He then brought up that he received notice of my claim for benefits and never mentioned it to me because he thought it was "underhanded" of me to file a claim at all. He wants me to look into it because it "costs him money and raises his rates" if I file a claim, and he suggested I drop my claim. But he also refused to give me my hours back.

How should I handle this and what are my rights?

pattytx

You ignore the request to "look into it". You have every legal right to file for benefits when your hours are reduced. The employer changing their story relative to hours being decreased a second time is likely not going to hold much water with the state; "punishment" for doing what?

If you are fired or otherwise experience adverse job actions because you file the claim, you have a possible case for retaliation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">