• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

vacation pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yerallo

I wasn't exactly sure on where to post this so I posted it here.

At the beginning of the year is when my company posts/puts out the company vacation days for the year.

According to the posting I have off December 24th and 25th (these are paid holidays). I work the 21st (Sunday, regular work day), 22nd regular work day, 23rd My personal scheduled vacation, 24th and 25th holiday vacation paid by company. This equals a 40 hour paycheck.

The problem is that at the beginning of December my boss changed the company paid vacation days on us.

Now the company is making us work Friday the 26th and got rid of us working the 21st. The problem is that I was promised off work from the 23rd of December until the 29th.

Since I will be out of town on the 26th I cannot work that work day. Also, because I will NOT be at work after the company paid holiday I will NOT get paid for the company paid holidays per policy. If I don't get paid for the company holidays my paycheck will be for only 24 hours..

The question is: can my company legally change paid holiday days on us once the are already posted?

Can I collect unemployment for this since I work less than 32 hours and it's my employers fault?

Can I have my company pay me for lost wages?

Lastly, can I report this little stunt of my company?

I am from Wisconsin, United States

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The question is: can my company legally change paid holiday days on us once the are already posted? |Unless a legally binding and enforceable contract expressly says otherwise, yes.

Can I collect unemployment for this since I work less than 32 hours and it's my employers fault? Doubtful. You can file a claim, sure, but unless you already have an open claim it's not likely you'll get paid anything since your state, like most others, has a waiting week.

Can I have my company pay me for lost wages?
You can ask your employer to pay you. There is no law you can invoke that will force the employer to pay you.

Lastly, can I report this little stunt of my company? To who and for what? They haven't violated any laws.

Note: The above assumes you are a non-exempt employee. The answers *may* (not will) change if you are exempt.

yerallo

Changing paid holidays

So, your answer to the first question is, "The question is: can my company legally change paid holiday days on us once the are already posted? |Unless a legally binding and enforceable contract expressly says otherwise, yes.
"

My question is this then, are documented vacations a form of a contract since it is written? If it is a form of a contract then would it be illegal for them to break it then?

Proserpina

So, your answer to the first question is, "The question is: can my company legally change paid holiday days on us once the are already posted? |Unless a legally binding and enforceable contract expressly says otherwise, yes.
"

My question is this then, are documented vacations a form of a contract since it is written? If it is a form of a contract then would it be illegal for them to break it then?

No. That is not a contract.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not even close.

It is entirely up to the employer what benefits he offers, and he can change them at any time as long as he follows any government regulations that may be in place regarding them. There are NO government regulations, in any state, governing anything to do with vacations except what to do with unused vacation days when employment ends.

So unless you are part of a union which includes vacation days and holidays as part of your contract, or you signed an actual contract of employment (NOT an employment agreement - they are two different things) which guarantees exactly which days can/will be used for vacation or holidays, you're out of luck. The employer is doing nothing illegal. I'm not saying I agree with making such a change so close to the end of the year, but the law does not require my approval for something to be legal - it only requires that no laws be violated. Which is the case here.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">