• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vacation payout

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

soirritated

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Company is in California, I am based out of Oregon.

My question:

I am leaving my company. When I received my vacation payout for 200 hours of accrued time, it was based on an amount that is significantly less than my monthly salary. Can they do that? After all, if I had been allowed to take that time as vacation, it would have been paid at my regular rate. In all, the amount they paid is around $3,200 less than they should owe me.

pattytx

Taking it is different than getting paid for not taking it.

Have you asked the employer how they came to that amount?

soirritated

Yes. My regular paychecks are broken into a base salary amount and a monthly "Revenue Maintanence" which is the same every month. I was told that my paycheck was broken down this way for tax purposes. Now I find out that they base the vacation pay upon departure on the base amount only...not including the maintanence amount.

pattytx

I'm assuming you're outside sales? I'm not going to comment on the legality of illegality of classifying part of your compensation as nontaxable, because that wasn't your question.

Yes, that's most likely legal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">