• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vehicle Mileage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sshynk

What is the name of your state? Texas
My new employer only pays 32 cents/mile for company use of my personal vehicle. The 2005 IRS amount is 40.5 cents/mile. What are my options as far as requesting the IRS amount? Does the company have the right to compensate at the lower rate? If they do, should there be a set vehicle allowance as well to make up the difference?

JETX

sshynk said:
My new employer only pays 32 cents/mile for company use of my personal vehicle. The 2005 IRS amount is 40.5 cents/mile. What are my options as far as requesting the IRS amount?
Of course you can ask them about increased mileage rates.

Does the company have the right to compensate at the lower rate?
Yep. Or to not compensate at all.

If they do, should there be a set vehicle allowance as well to make up the difference?
Not necessarily. See above.

sshynk said:
What is the name of your state? Texas
My new employer only pays 32 cents/mile for company use of my personal vehicle. The 2005 IRS amount is 40.5 cents/mile. What are my options as far as requesting the IRS amount? Does the company have the right to compensate at the lower rate? If they do, should there be a set vehicle allowance as well to make up the difference?
You can always request that they pay the IRS amount, but the employer can pay whatever they want. Yes they have that right.

You can "make up the difference" by reporting the difference on your tax form as an "unreimbursed employee expense."

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
They are not required by law to reimburse for mileage at all. If they choose to, they can reimburse for anything up to the IRS rate. They are not legally obligated to pay the higher rate.

You can ASK for anything you want. They are not required to give it to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">