• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Violation of Labor Laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thefastlain

tennessee

Where do we start when our employer wantonly changes our tips claimed to fit the requirement of minumum wage ? We have had nights when we only had 1 customer and he would still show I claimed I earned 40 dollars in tips .Employer also changes our labor report so as not to have to pay us overtime.How do we start procedure to report this ?

LdiJ

tennessee

Where do we start when our employer wantonly changes our tips claimed to fit the requirement of minumum wage ? We have had nights when we only had 1 customer and he would still show I claimed I earned 40 dollars in tips .Employer also changes our labor report so as not to have to pay us overtime.How do we start procedure to report this ?
You would make a complaint to the Department of Labor.

The Division of Labor Standards may be contacted by calling 615-741-2858 (option 3) or toll-free at 1-866-588-6814

commentator

It may take them a while, but they'll come in and investigate. In the meantime, they will not tell the employer which employee has reported them, but if you brag to your co workers, etc., your employer may find out. And may fire you. Why don't you start looking for a better job right now? Seriously, our state is full of small time employers who would do much worse if they didn't have the federal labor laws to protect employees. But your only recourse is to report them to our very overworked state labor inspectors, the Federal Wage and Hour people, and then wait for them to take action. And in the meantime, find someone else to work for who is not quite so big a cheater.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">