• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

W2 amount more than total of Paychecks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Suzz07

My former employer has sent me W2 which contains more amount than what amounts to after totaling all my paychecks. Should I refer this to IRS OR should I refer this to DOL or should I get an attorney to fight?:confused:

swalsh411

Whoah slow down there. First step is to contact your employer and ask them to show how they arrived at the numbers. People think their W-2's are wrong all the time when they aren't. Ask payroll before you do anything else.

JustAPal00

I agree. What do you do for a living? Waiters and waitresses almost always show more on their W2's because tips are added.

FlyingRon

How much of a discrepancy is there? Could it be one paycheck's worth? Perhaps you're confused about which tax year the first/last checks received were in, etc...

pattytx

Agree you're jumping the gun here. There are MANY reasons, a few of which have been mentioned. Also, noncash fringe benefits added at year-end, imputed income (such as the calculated income relative to group term life insurance coverage over $50K, domestic partner benefits imputed income, etc.).

Ask payroll first.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">