• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wage / Work Manipulation Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bravecadet

Texas

I work for an online employer that pays employees on a completion basis per character of read material.

Some material requires additional effort, more logical steps, requirements, coding inputs, and is "weighted" to be considered worth more than just its raw character value. These character weights are not perfectly balanced however. You can say, get stuck doing a large batch of underweighted work, knowing you are making less than you would based on your normal ability. Company policy now rejects requests to evaluate the weighting of various pieces of work. The argument presented is that there are also known "overweighted" clients that balance out the net effect.

This presumes, you get a roughly equal diet of overweighted and underweighted content sent to you.

So, I am a shiny bright star that completes work at twice the required rate. At least I did for a long time. Then I started seeing more and more of the "underweighted" content. Of course when I requested these pieces of content get looked at, the request was rejected. The company then claimed all content was overweighted, at a certain average. Then I expessed that the average I was recieving was far below that.

Basically, I was being targetting for getting crappy work, because I was a a high performer. If they had given that same work to others, there was a real chance they would have fallen below the minimum wage.

Is targetting employees in such a way legal? Could I sue for lost wages if for example I could show in pay slips a consistant break in the pattern of pay over a period of time, which abruptly haulted once management was confronted about the issue?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Is targetting employees in such a way legal? Yes.

Could I sue for lost wages if for example I could show in pay slips a consistant break in the pattern of pay over a period of time, which abruptly haulted once management was confronted about the issue? No.

The employer is under no legal obligation to divide the work evenly. "High performing employees" are not a protected category under the law; they are free to divide the work in the way that best benefits them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">