• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wages not being paid in a timely manner

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fancyfeet

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My employer is not paying me in a timely fashion. I currently am holding two paychecks because there isn't enough money in the bank account to cover them. Another payday is in 2 days = 3 checks.

Like everyone else I have personal obligations to meet and cannot work for free.

What are my options? Is there something like quitting with good cause?

Thank you.

janimal

What do you mean quitting with good cause? Are you meaning to ask, if you resign, will you be eligible to collect unemployment? I would guess the likelihood you would be granted unemployment benefits would be good if your reason for leaving is that the employer failed to pay you for work performed. BUT - I cannot tell you for sure if you will be granted benefits. There are several factors that go into the decision.

If you are working and your employer is failing to pay you, then report them to the Department of Labor. And find a new job.

Good luck.

swalsh411

It is well established that quitting a job because you are not getting paid is good cause when it comes to unemployment benefits. BUT you need to weigh your potential unemployment benefits against what you may receive if you continue working for this company and you are successful in your wage claim or their checks become good at some point in the future.

pattytx

I would note that the wage complaint would have to be filed with the federal Dept. of Labor, since Florida doesn't really have one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">