• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Waiting time period for civil service employees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chajoy1978

California: I was recently terminated and was not given my final pay/accrued vacation, at the time of release. I just called the administrative office and was told civil service does not have a time frame and only has to pay final wages when administratively possible. I cannot find anything that states this. Is it true? Or do they still have to follow the Labor Law to pay at time of termination? This is all I could find: "The waiting time penalty applies to all employees regardless of status, exempt, nonexempt, full-time, part-time, temporary, probationary, or otherwise. The penalty does not apply to independent contractors or volunteers, as they are not "employees." I was not an independent contractor or volunteer. Thank you.

LdiJ

California: I was recently terminated and was not given my final pay/accrued vacation, at the time of release. I just called the administrative office and was told civil service does not have a time frame and only has to pay final wages when administratively possible. I cannot find anything that states this. Is it true? Or do they still have to follow the Labor Law to pay at time of termination? This is all I could find: "The waiting time penalty applies to all employees regardless of status, exempt, nonexempt, full-time, part-time, temporary, probationary, or otherwise. The penalty does not apply to independent contractors or volunteers, as they are not "employees." I was not an independent contractor or volunteer. Thank you.
I suspect that its the bureaucracy of the civil service system that makes it impossible for them to just cut a check.

eerelations

I suspect that its the bureaucracy of the civil service system that makes it impossible for them to just cut a check.
Agree. I was laid off from the civil service 30 years ago and they couldn't give me my final pay for 2.5 months after my last day of work. I could have filed a wage claim, however, that would have taken six months to process it's way through the system. :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">