+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    minnesotakent is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003

    We did not get paid the correct wage.

    What is the name of your state?Minnesota

    I am a teacher. I am also the building union representative. We are having a pay problem. We are often asked to subsititute teach for teachers who are gone. Our contract clearly states that we are to receive $20.69 PER CLASS when we substitute teach. Each class period is 45 minutes long.

    Our contract also states that we are to receive $20.69 PER HOUR when we have additional duties (curriculum writing, meetings outside of our regular work day, etc.).

    We just received our checks for substituting and extra duty that cover December through February and many of us have been shorted on our pay.

    Here is a simple example of what happened: A teacher subbed for two class periods. The teacher filled out an extra duty pay form and put down 2 class periods at $20.69 each for a total of $41.38. When this person got paid they were paid $31.04. Someone changed the pay requests to show the time worked, instead of the number of class periods worked. Since two class periods equals 90 minutes, the teacher got paid for 1 1/2 hours instead of 2 class periods.

    This had never happened previously, but we have new administration that is interpreting the contract differently than previous administration.

    There are also cases where someone subbed for 30 minutes of a 45 minute class and were paid for 1/2 hour of work. Should that person be paid for working 1/2 of an hour or 2/3 of a class period?

    Any legal suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    cbg is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    The answers to your questions are going to be found in the contract, not in the law. I have two suggestions for you; you can do both - they aren't mutually exclusive:

    1.) Grieve the matter through your union
    2.) Take a copy of your contract to a local attorney for a third-party interpretation.

Similar Threads

  1. Not paid the correct amount
    By janosbayard in forum Wage & Salary Issues
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-18-2011, 05:27 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-12-2010, 07:55 AM
  3. Ex Parte to correct a wage assignment
    By ericsbracer in forum Child Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-07-2006, 05:47 PM
  4. Employer not sending correct wage assignment amount
    By Rufie in forum Child Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-28-2005, 03:11 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-16-2005, 05:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

© 1995-2012 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.